Social Services Intake

Chisago County human services intake provides an entry point for all offered social services. This includes:

  • Adult Mental Health
  • Child Protective Services
  • Children's Mental Health
  • Disability Services
  • Minor Parent Services

They will also provide information and referral services to those seeking community resources such as, anger management classes and parent education classes.

Family Court

Chisago County intake can not help someone gain custody of their children during a divorce or separation. This also includes relatives seeking custody of children when the children are not part of a current child protection case.

Child custody is a matter handled by family court and most persons would need an attorney to help with this process. Forms for family court matters can be found on the Minnesota Judicial website.


Chisago County intake uses an approved screening criteria to decide if a report should receive an assessment, be referred to another agency for service or be screened out and not receive service from the county. Although the basis for any decision is the screening criteria there are other issues, which will be taken into consideration when making the decision. These include:

  • Prior county involvement with the family
  • Prior reports of abuse or neglect
  • History of domestic violence
  • History of chemical use within the family
  • Prior law enforcement involvement with the family
  • Other general risk factors

Home Alone Guidelines

One of the most frequent questions raised by area residents is: "When can I leave my children home alone?"

There are guidelines that will provide some direction to help answer this question; remember these are just guidelines, as there is currently not a law, which states at what age children can be left home alone. Be sure to read the safety guideline section to determine if it is appropriate for the child in question to be home unsupervised.

Mandated Reporter Information

If you are a professional who works with children and families, you are in a key position to help protect children from harm. View information on what this means and how to report a child in danger on the Crisis Services section.