Chemical Health

Function & Services

The Chemical Health Unit of Chisago County human services assists Chisago County residents with accessing assessment and treatment services. Services are available on the basis of need and eligibility.

Staff will guide clients to assessment and treatment facilities licensed by the State of Minnesota, based on eligibility guidelines for public funding. The Chemical Health Unit does not provide any type of intervention services.

Crisis Hotline

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing a mental health crisis, please call our toll free Crisis Hotline at 1-800-523-3333.

If there is a life threatening emergency, call 911.

Substance Use Disorder or Comprehensive Assessment

Obtaining an assessment

The first step in getting help is to obtain a chemical health assessment by a licensed professional.

The type of insurance coverage you have usually determines where you go for an assessment.

If you have insurance (with the exception of Medicare) you will obtain an assessment from an agency that accepts your insurance. Local agencies that perform assessments and accept most major insurances include:

Canvas Health - Phone: 651-777-5222
Teen Focus - Phone: 320-358-4065

If you have Medicare only or don't have any insurance, contact your county of residence to either obtain an assessment through them, or to obtain an assessment at the provider of your choice.

Next Step Following Assessment

The professional completing your assessment will meet with you for an interview to review the impact of chemical use on your functioning and relationships. Based on that interview, the assessor will make a recommendation for you. Recommendations can include education classes, MADD panels, AA/NA meetings, outpatient treatment, or inpatient treatment.

Helpful Information