You may vote early by using an absentee ballot, instead of voting in person at the polling place on Election Day. You have the option of voting absentee either by mail or in person. Absentee voting starts 46 days before the election.
Voters in the military and citizens living outside the United States use a different process to vote absentee. Please visit the Military & Overseas Voter Services website.
Vote Absentee In Person
- Monday - Friday during normal business hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- The Saturday prior to Election Day 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- The Monday prior to Election Day 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- During the seven days before an election a voter may vote via Direct Balloting. This alternative allows the voter to cast their ballot directly into the ballot counter. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
If you are not registered to vote, you will need to complete a voter registration form and show proof of residence before casting your ballot.
Vote Absentee By Mail
You may apply by online application or the paper application (PDF). Election officials will mail the absentee ballot materials to you soon after receiving your application. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid your ballot being rejected. You will also need a witness. The witness must be another registered Minnesota voter, or a notary from any state. Return the ballot on or before Election Day. Delivery options are:
- Mail it in the provided pre-paid envelope. The ballot MUST arrive by 8pm the day of the Election.
- Deliver it in-person to the Chisago County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office by 3:00pm the day of the Election. See also Ballot Drop Box below.
- Have someone else return your ballot to the Auditor/Treasurer's Office by 3:00pm on Election Day. That person may only return for a maximum of 3 people. That person will be required to complete an Agent Delivery form as well.
- You MAY NOT deliver or use your absentee ballot at the polling place on Election Day
If you are not registered to vote, a voter registration application will be included in the mailed materials. You must show your witness an accepted proof of residence when registering.
Ballot Drop Off Box
Absentee Ballots can be deposited in the drop box located at the front entrance of the Government Center. The box is monitored by 24/7 video surveillance and emptied 2 times per day.
- You may deposit your own ballot only.
- You may NOT deposit another voters' ballot. Those ballots must be returned to the Auditor/Treasurer's Office directly and you will be required to sign an Agent Delivery form.
- You may NOT deposit a ballot for another County.
- Ballots WILL NOT be accepted after 3pm on Election Day